Twisted Puff Pastry Cinnamon Buns
yield: 10 TO 15
- 1 17.3-oz. package frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 1 stick 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg + 1 teaspoon water
- Coarse sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out two sheets puff pastry into two smooth rectangle (about 12" x 8" each).
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter, sugars and cinnamon with an electric mixer until well blended. Spoon mixture between the two sheets of puff pastry and spread evenly to edges.
- Fold puff pastry sheets in half. Slice lengthwise into strips. You should get 5-7 strips per sheet. Twist each strip and roll up from the bottom into a small spiral bun. Place on prepared baking sheet, Repeat with remaining strips.
- Whisk together egg and water in a small bowl. Brush twisted buns with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar (optional).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and puffed. Transfer buns to a rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.