Peggy’s Irish Apple Tart on a Plate
For the pastry
- 3.5/500 g cups all purpose flour
- Generous 2/3 cup/120g caster sugar
- Scant 1 ½ cups/320g unsalted butter cold
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
- 2 ½ to 3 cups thinly sliced apples
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- a squeeze of lemon
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- Heat oven to 350f/180c
- Mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Put the flour, sugar and salt in a bow, cut the butter into pieces and work it into the flour with your fingertips. Now make a well in the middle of the flour and butter mixture and add the egg, egg yolks and vanilla extract. Stir with a fork to incorporate the flour evenly until you have to begin using your hand. Quickly bring the dry and wet ingredients together with your hands. On a floured surface, knead the dough for a few minutes then roll into ¼-1/2 inch thickness.
- Place bottom pastry on plate. Fill with apples. Place top of pastry case over apple filling.
- Make 3 slits on top.
- Bake for about one hour or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Serve with whipped cream.