Molten Chocolate Cakes
- 1 stick unsalted butter 4 ounces
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate preferably Valrhona
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Butter and lightly flour six 6-ounce ramekins. Tap out the excess flour. Set the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- In a double boiler, over simmering water, melt the butter with the chocolate. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the egg yolks, sugar and salt at high speed until thickened and pale.
- Whisk the chocolate until smooth. Quickly fold it into the egg mixture along with the flour. Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins and bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes are firm but the centers are soft. Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for 1 minute, then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each one over, let stand for 10 seconds and then unmold. Serve immediately.
If divided into 4 cakes, bake time is 12 minutes.