Date and Nut Bars
Uncle Bob's friend Karl's recipe. From Germaine Latonis' recipe library.
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 lb. dates pitted and chopped
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs eggs
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9x12 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and white sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder and mix thoroughly.
- Add milk and mix.
- Add dates and nuts and mix.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan, and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. When cool, cut into bars, and roll each bar in confectioners' sugar. (Cake will dry out if overcooked.)