Uncle Bob's friend Karl's recipe. From Germaine Latonis' recipe library.
- 2 3¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut in margarine with pastry cutter till crumbly.
- Drain water from raisins and add to mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs lightly with the buttermilk and pour into the well. Using a fork, incorporate all ingredients.
- Drop by 1/4 cup measures about two inches apart onto well greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tops of scones with sugar.
- Bake 10-11 minutes or until lightly golden, but not dark (or they will be tough).