Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons minced onion (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups spinach – packed rinsed and thinly sliced
- ½ cup cooked seashell pasta
- ⅔-¾ cup diced carrots
- diced onion
- bay leaf
In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion. Shape mixture into 3/4-inch balls and set aside. Precook meatballs.
In a large stockpot heat chicken broth to boiling; stir in the spinach, pasta, and carrots (and onion and bay leaf if used). (Optional: Sautee carrot and onion before adding to broth.) Return to boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Add meatballs.. Serve hot with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.