Famous Oatmeal Cookies
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c +6 tbs butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and granulated sugar on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.
- Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well.
- Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Store tightly covered
Serving Tips: Add 1 cup of any one or a combination of any of the following ingredients to basic cookie dough: raisins, chopped nuts, chocolate chips or shredded coconut. Large Cookies: Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. About 2-1/2 Dozen Bar Cookies: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen bar cookies. COOK NOTE: High Altitude Adjustment: Increase flour to 1-1/4 cups and bake as directed.