English Muffin Bread for the Bread Machine
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup 55g to 74g water
- 1 cup 227g lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons 28g butter or 2 tablespoons (24g) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups 418g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
Place all of the ingredients into the bucket of your bread machine. Use the smaller amount of water in the summer, or during humid conditions; use the larger amount of water in winter, or if you’re in a dry climate.
Program your machine for basic white bread, light crust. Midway through the second kneading cycle, check the dough; it should be soft, smooth and slightly sticky. Adjust the dough’s consistency with additional flour or water, if necessary.
For a true English muffin effect, remove the dough after either the final kneading or before the final rise and roll it in cornmeal.
Place the dough back in the machine to rise and bake.
Remove the finished bread from the machine, and cool it on a rack.