From Germaine Latonis' recipe library.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients a little at a time.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets. For flatter cookies, press with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar before baking.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.