COLUMBIA’S ORIGINAL “1905” SALAD
- ½ head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 2 ripe tomatoes cut into eighths
- ½ cup sliced swiss cheese cut into julienne strips
- ½ cup sliced baked ham cut into julienne strips (or turkey or shrimp)
- ¼ cup green Spanish olives pitted
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated romano cheese
SALAD DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- ⅛ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Toss together all salad ingredients in a large bowl, except Romano cheese.
- Mix garlic, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Beat until smooth with a wire whisk. Add olive oil, gradually beating to form an emulsion. Stir in vinegar and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add dressing to salad and toss well. Add Romano cheese and toss one more time.