COLUMBIA’S ORIGINAL “1905” SALAD
- ½ head iceberg lettuce shredded
- 2 ripe tomatoes cut into eighths
- ½ cup sliced swiss cheese cut into julienne strips
- ½ cup sliced baked ham cut into julienne strips (or turkey or shrimp)
- ¼ cup green Spanish olives pitted
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated romano cheese
SALAD DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- ⅛ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin Spanish olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Toss together all salad ingredients in a large bowl, except Romano cheese.
Mix garlic, oregano, and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Beat until smooth with a wire whisk. Add olive oil, gradually beating to form an emulsion. Stir in vinegar and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Add dressing to salad and toss well. Add Romano cheese and toss one more time.