From Germaine Latonis' recipe library passed onto her by Uncle Bob - "Mary L Davis' Recipe"
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 extra large eggs well beaten
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Sift dry ingredients. Add alternately dry ingredients and buttermilk. Mix Well.
- Mix in pecans and dates by hand.
- Drop spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Cookies should be 2" apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. When "done," cookies should be flat, pale in color, and spongy to touch.