Basic Stove-Top Custard
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix together sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Add egg yolks and whisk to combine; then gradually whisk in milk.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until custard thickens to the consistency of thick cream, about 25 minutes.
- If the custard has lumps, strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and add vanilla.
- Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap to prevent a skim from forming.
- Refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2 hours.