Barbara's IRISH SODA BREAD
Barbara's recipe from Uncle Bob. From Germaine Latonis' recipe library.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 tsp caraway seets
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly grease #8 iron skillet.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- Add milk.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead about 20 times.
- Dough will be very sticky.
- Transfer dough to prepared skillet; smooth top, mounding slightly in center.
- Using small sharp knife dipped into flour, cut 1-inch-deep X in top center of dough.
- Bake until bread is cooked through and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool bread in skillet 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack and cool completely.