AUTHENTIC ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE
- 2 28 ounce cans tomato puree
- 1 28 ounce can peeled plum tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 cloves
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Empty plum tomatoes into large bowl and squash with your hands.
- Add all ingredients (including any meatballs or sausage you want to add) to pot and simmer for 3 hours.