MALL PRETZELS (COPYCAT)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast 1 pkg.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- coarse salt
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter melted
- Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar, salt and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth and elastic.
- Let rise at least 1/2 hour.
- While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 tbsp baking soda.
- Be certain to stir often.
- After dough has risen, pinch off bits of dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape.
- Dip pretzel in soda solution and place on greased baking sheet.
- Allow pretzels to rise again.
- Bake in oven at 450 for about 10 minutes or until golden.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Toppings: After you brush with butter try sprinkling with coarse salt.
- Or for Auntie Anne’s famous Cinnamon Sugar, try melting a stick of butter in a shallow bowl (big enough to fit the entire pretzel) and in another shallow bowl make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
- Dip the pretzel into the butter, coating both sides generously.
- Then dip again into the cinnamon mixture.
Notes: The longer and thinner you can make the dough rope, the more like Auntie Anne’s they will be.