FOR THE APPLE FILLING:
- 2 T. all-purpose flour
- 3 T. sugar or less
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 8 c. peeled apples, sliced 1/2" thick
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. rolled oats, not quick cooking oats
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter softened to room temperature (do not melt)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- for the apple crisp filling: In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg with the sliced apples. Place in a 9'' x 13'' pan.
- for the apple crisp topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the first five topping ingredients. Add butter and cut in with a fork or pastry cutter until you have large pea-size crumbs. Sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned and some of the apple juices are bubbling through the topping.
This is best on the day it is made, especially when it is still a bit warm. The topping will be at its crispiest within the first four hours after being baked. Serve with scoops of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.