SKILLET BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Recipe halves well.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup unsalted butter frozen
- 1 ¾ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly oil a 10 1/2-inch square cast iron skillet or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Grate butter using the large holes of a box grater. Stir into the flour mixture.
- Add buttermilk and stir using a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 9-inch square, trimming the edges to create an 8-inch square. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 9 or 12 square biscuits. Place biscuits onto the prepared cast iron skillet.
- Place into oven and bake for 16-19 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.