Mom’s Best Peanut Brittle
- 1 cup Sugars granulated
- ½ cup Syrups corn, light
- ¼ teaspoon Salt table
- ¼ cup Water municipal
- 1 cup Peanuts all types, dry-roasted, without salt
- 2 tablespoons Butter with salt
- 1 teaspoon Leavening agents baking soda
- Grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Set candy thermometer in place, and continue cooking. Stir in peanuts (if using roasted peanuts, add at 250 degrees F). Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.
- Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet. With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14×12 inches; cool. Snap candy into pieces.
Note: Head pan in a 200 degree F oven to aid spreading. Option: Add 1 tsp of vanilla in step 3.