Quick and Easy Baklava Pastries
Serve with honey.
- 1 batch puff pastry dough
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp water
- After baking:
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Unroll puff pastry on a lightly floured cutting board. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle the prepared filling evenly over just the bottom half of the square. Fold the uncovered top half of the puff pastry over the filled half, lining up the edges. Place the pastry block, still on the cutting board, in the refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove pastry from the refrigerator. Using a sharp knife, score the top of the pastry by making diagonal score lines about 1 inch apart, then repeating making diagonal score lines in the other direction, making a diamond patern on the top of the dough. Be careful not to cut all the way through to the filling.
- Trim the 3 unfolded edges by about 1/4 inch and discard. Cut the remaining dough block in to nine 1-inch wide slices, creating sticks 1-inch wide x 5 inches long. Place these on to the parchment-lined baking sheet, allowing 1 inch between each one. Carefully brush the top of the pastry with egg wash, being careful not to let the egg wash drip down the sides. Place the baking sheet in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
- While pastries are chilling, preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Remove from oven and leave pastries on baking pan. Heat honey in microwave or small saucepan until bubbling. Allow to cool slightly, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely. If desired, drizzle with honey before serving.
- These are best when freshly baked, but keep well in an airtight container for a day or two.